Frequently Asked Questions
See below for FAQs or contact us with any of your questions.
Where can I find a physical therapist?
- Our clinics in Prairie Village and Lenexa, KS provide a welcoming, encouraging environment with well-trained, friendly staff. We are confident in our ability to help you attain your goals and empower you to live your life. There are many facilities that provide physical therapy services. At Empower Physical Therapy & Performance you will receive the highest quality, coordinated care to reach your goals.
Can I benefit from PT treatments?
- Everyone can benefit from physical therapy. We work with you and doctor to discuss your options and help determine if PT will be the right option for you.
How can I make an appointment?
- Schedule an appointment with us by calling 913-224-2990 or email us with your request and we will reach out to you to get you scheduled.
Can I use my Health Savings Account (HSA)?
- Yes, you can use your HSA to pay for physical therapy services. For private pay packages, some HSA accounts may require a more detailed receipt, which we can provide upon request.
Do I need a referral for physical therapy?
- Kansas has direct-access physical therapy, meaning that you do not need referral to start physical therapy. However, Medicare and some insurance providers do require a referral to begin physical therapy.
Who will be my provider?
- When you schedule with us, we will pair you with a licensed physical therapist that will see you throughout the entire care process. We do not have any physical therapy assistants, techs, or aides. Your PT will work with you one-on-one every session. For certain activities, we have specialists that can help. Check out our services page to see the specialty services we offer.
What is something important to know about physical therapy?
- Our overall goal of physical therapy is to restore mobility and function and to prevent the injury from recurring. Our therapists evaluate your movement, identify the source of your pain, and work with you to manage your condition. As trained experts in musculoskeletal and neurological conditions, our therapists work closely with physicians and other healthcare professionals to ensure that your treatment plan is efficient and effective.
How long is each appointment going to be? How many appointments will I need?
- At our Prairie Village, KS location each appointment is 45 minutes. At our Lenexa, KS location each appointment is 60 minutes. The frequency of visits will be based on your specific needs, and our therapists will provide their professional recommendation of how many visits per week will be best for your condition, based on their findings during your initial evaluation. As you progress through treatment, your sessions may be more spread out, focusing on long-term management.
What kind of clothing should I wear for appointments?
- Dress in comfortable clothes that allow easy access for the therapist to examine your problem areas. Typically, loose-fitting clothes that are comfortable for gentle exercises and supportive sneakers are often good choices to wear for treatments.
How can I pay for each session?
- We will gather your insurance information when you schedule your first appointment. Your insurance benefits will be determined before your initial evaluation, and you will be informed of what payment is necessary for your sessions. We have private pay rates and packages if you choose not to go through insurance. We accept cash, check, debit card, and credit card. We are happy to discuss payment plans as well.
Do you treat my condition at your clinic?
- See our injuries and conditions page for a glimpse of conditions treated at our clinic. All our therapists are well trained to evaluate and treat your condition. Our physical therapists are graduates of accredited physical therapy programs with either a master's or doctorate level degree, with many of them earning additional credentials and specializations. With years of training in anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, neurology, and other medical sciences, our therapists have got you covered.
Will my insurance cover the cost of treatment?
- Insurance coverage varies based on the company and your individual policy. We will contact your insurance company to gather information on your benefits prior to you first appointment so that we can help you understand and navigate your insurance coverage. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
What if I do not have insurance?
- For patients who do not have insurance coverage or who choose not to use insurance, we offer private pay rates and packages. Contact us for more information and see our options.
Can I continue seeing a therapist even when I feel better?
- Yes, after completing your course of therapy, your therapist will review your home exercises to continue managing your condition or prevent recurrence. We encourage quarterly check-ups to make sure that you have the appropriate program as you progress at home. We also offer Core Training classes for clients looking to exercise in a safe, functional movement based group setting, led by one of our licensed physical therapists.