Engaging in glute-focused workouts is great for individuals of all ages. Think of it as a hidden tool to enhance your balance and stability. Glute strength also plays a pivotal role in promoting low back and knee health and preventing falls. Check out these exercises designed to target and strengthen your glutes:
- Lie on your side with your legs bent at a 90-degree angle and your feet touching.
- Keep your feet together and lift your top knee as high as you can while keeping your feet touching.
- Lower your knee back down.
- Do 10-15 reps on each side for 2-3 sets.
Tip: Exercise is best done lying against a wall. Place your back and feet against the wall, as you lift your knee, do not move your pelvis.
Side Lying Hip Abduction:
- Lie on your side with your bottom leg bent and top leg straight.
- Lift your top leg as high as you can while keeping it straight.
- Lower your leg back down.
- Do 10-15 repetitions on each side for 2-3 sets.
Tip: Exercise is best done lying against a wall. Place your back, foot and leg against the wall. Place something between your top foot and the wall to help it glide.
- Find a sturdy step or bench.
- Place one foot on the step and push through your heel to lift your body up.
- Step back down and repeat with the other foot.
- Do 10-15 step-ups on each leg for 2-3 sets.
Tip: Ensure to have a wall or railing nearby for balance. As you step up, keep your knee in line and do not let it roll in.
Remember, it is super important to get these exercises just right to stay safe and enjoy all their fantastic benefits. At Empower Physical Therapy & Performance, we've got a fitness program that's all about YOU. It's personalized to fit your unique needs and abilities. Get in touch, and let's set up your free consultation.
By Kimberly Pointer